history, historiography, politics, current events

Friday, May 2, 2008

Thesis 5/2/2008

Earlier this week my thesis prospectus was critiqued and I recaived some thoughtful feedback. Since then I have been thinking and rethinking my thesis topic. Trying to explain how a sense of community developed among the the US Officer Corps is an interesting topic, but I am not so sure I can connect that to the development of strategic thought. To focus solely on the printed word would make things harder as well. If I were to take this route I would be relying more on theory than actual primary sources. I would also be asking questions to which my sources might not be able to provide answers. I should let my sources guide me and not the other way around.

I am still very much interested in the development of the US Officer Corps. I have begun to think about other questions. Instead of focusing on how the corps developed, I should be asking 'why' questions. Why did the US Officer Corps develop in the way that it did? Why did American officers put so much emphasis on the European way of developing an army and fighting a war? What did it mean to be an army officer in an Republic? What were the tasks the army was expected to fulfill? Why was Europeanization seen as the answer? These are questions that I hope will lead to a fruitful thesis topic.

No comments: