history, historiography, politics, current events

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thank "God" for Hitchens.


One of my favorite writers, Christopher Hitchens, is making atheism fun, or at least seem fun. I am not claiming to be an atheist myself, but I do enjoy reading books by sworn atheists. Lately there has been a growth in the popularity of books denouncing religion. Some writers, such as Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion), come off as, well...preachy. They're arrogant and, one can argue, stuck-up. However, Hitchens's God is Not Great is a rather fun read. I highly recommend it. If you are a religious person you should definitely read this book because it provides a concise critique of religion and raises questions and issues that those who believe in God must reconcile in their own faith. (here is a recent article by Hitchens on belief.) Another great book on religion by Hitchens, which I suggest should be read with God is Not Great, is The Missionary Position. In that book Hitchens exposes the lies and hypocrisies of Mother Teresa. So, thank God for Hitchens for making atheism seem interesting.

No comments: